JAMB de-lists 22 CBT centres for defrauding 11,823 UTME candidates of N59m
Twenty-two Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres that allegedly defrauded 11, 823 candidates to the tune of N59million have been de-listed by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.
Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, said any centre that shared the same ownership with the blacklisted centres would be suspended from all JAMB activities.
Oloyede, during a meeting with representatives of the affected centres on Thursday, said they carried out the fraud by charging more than N200 as service charge for the centres to effect correction on profile as well as bypassing One-Time Password (OTP) required of candidates to initiate such changes.
He said the board has concrete proof of the infractions as it made undercover payments to the centres to actually detect the fraud that was being perpetrated by operators of the centres.
He said the board has reversed the changes done illegally by affected candidates and that the money paid to JAMB to effect the changes remain intact on their profiles.
The JAMB registrar added that the affected CBT centres owners would be prosecuted.
He said: “The purpose of calling this meeting is to interact with 22 of you (institutions) that have grossly violated the prescription of the board, particularly during Covid-19 and those who have done things not expected to do, thereby endangering the lives of candidates that they were supposed to protect.
“Not only that, we have discovered that the 22 of you have also defrauded candidates by collecting from them more than you are expected to collect and doing certain things that would bypass the normal process and procedure.
“Some of you were collecting N3, 000, N5, 000 from candidates (for an amount that supposed to be N200 as service charge for the centre). What you have collected is over N59 Million.”
He advised such candidates to change their passwords to avoid further damage following exposure of the secret code to operators of the now blacklisted CBT centres.
The JAMB boss lamented all owners of the affected CBT centres are from one section of the country, saying such behaviour of fleecing both innocent and non-innocent candidates of several amounts of money under the guise of effecting changes in registration details portends danger for the country.
A representative of Duntro CBT centre, David Ugochukwu, blamed the illegal act on his technical staff, saying that they have been sacked from the organisation.
Ugochukwu, however, claimed he had earlier written to JAMB to inundate it of the identified breaches in the registration application that may allow the bypass of OTP in the correction of candidates data in their absence with the submission of their passwords.
Other CBT representatives who spoke at the meeting apologised and admitted to the illegal activities but blamed the problem on technical staff.
The affected CBT centres are: Bright Stars, Aba, Abia State, 68 candidates; Flourish Computer Centre, Akwa Ibom State-105; Ibom-E-Library, Akwa Ibom-12; Chukwuemeka Odumegwu University, Igbariam-661. Anambra State; Deacons Digital Solutions Ltd-96; Federal Poly, Oko 314, Mega Dataview, Onitsha-733.
Others are Bayelsa State; Linnet Paul Innovative Institute, Yenagoa- 3435; Niger Delta University-1200; Edo State: Diict, Benin-81;Gateway Edutech,Benin-10; Gifted Hands science and Technology, Benin-223; NABTEB ICT Training Centre, Benin-291; Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa-670 and Supreme ICT Foundation, Benin-22.
The list also includes Enugu State: Elco ICT, Nsukka-538; Peaceland and Stalwart Solutions, Enugu-554; Union ICT-773; Kaduna State: Time online ICT, Sabon Tasha, Kaduna-67: Lagos State: Duntro High School, Surulere-21; Elite BusinessConsult, Ikorodu 218 and Rivers State: Ave Maria international academy, Rumuodara, Port Harcourt-1731.